Saturday 9 July 2016

Garden canal art

I wanted to see if I could get a photo of Jubilee crossing the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct from below today. After dropping David and his bike off at Trefor Jan steered across the mighty structure while I ran down to the road to the west. Unfortunately by the time I got to where I could see the aqueduct Jan was just disappearing into the trees the other side. I had to settle for this pic of a day boat crossing. We'll be back another time; the photo I wanted will have to wait.

At Froncysyllte someone has been busy in their garden.

I like the scene of Chirk Aqueduct with the railway viaduct behind.

David drove to near Frankton Junction and cycled back; we picked him up at Chirk Bank. There have been a lot of novice boaters about today. We were behind a hire boat doing the classic zig-zagging across the canal, hitting the bank each side until they let us past. And then there was the Anglo Welsh boat with a large party of young men who steered spectacularly into overhanging trees. People on the boat's roof were taking avoiding action; there was a cry of "Save the cider!". I imagine there will be a few mugs missing when it returns to base.

We are now by the Narrowboat Inn by bridge 6W and have just eaten there. We have booked to go down the Frankton Locks on Monday; tomorrow we'll go by car to the Peace service (with Terry Waite) in LLangollen.

No comments: