Saturday 30 April 2016

Helping at a Boat Gathering at Braunston

At 0900 I walked over to where I assumed the marquee etc. would be put up but there was no sign of anyone. I saw an organiser on his boat, and he said there was no rush. So I went back to Jubilee and had another cup of tea.

When I returned at about 1030 things did get very busy. I helped with the erection of four gazebos and the main marquee. At 1330 I realised I was hungry and went back to the boat, where I cooked up a fry-up of Braunston black pepper sausages, bacon, eggs, baked beans and fried bread. Ally and Josiah had arrived; I cooked Ally a similar meal. Jan was holding Josiah all this time.

After lunch there was more to do at the main site; everything was finished with a quarter of an hour to go.

Cepheus arrived; I photographed it through the iron bridge at the entrance to Braunston Marina.

Ally stayed for the opening of the IWA Northampton branch Boat Gathering and partook of the barbecue as we all did.

Here is the team behind said barbecue.

After Ally and Josiah left Jan and I stayed in the marquee to take part in a Beetle Drive (free), then bingo (for very small stakes). I came close to winning a bottle of wine in the Beetle Drive but we won nothing on the bingo. It was good to talk to lots of people, including BCF members Alan and Glenda whose boat Tranquility is in the marina here.

There are to be many more activities over the weekend including guided walks, talks and a treasure hunt.

Meanwhile Jan tells me that her Facebook has revealed that James and Amy of Willow have got engaged, so felicitations to them.

No comments: