Sunday 22 June 2014

Off to crew for Kew

Tomorrow I shall be on my way to Fazeley to join nb Kew as crew/lockwheeler for part of the journey to Stratford-on-Avon.

Kew at the Black Country Boating Festival at Windmill End last year

I'll cycle to Wymondham Station (in Norfolk) and get the train to Nottingham, where I change for a train to Birmingham, alighting at Wilnecote (Staffs). Then a short cycle ride to David and Mary's house.

We'll be boating via the Severn and Avon to approach Stratford from the river, but I can't remember which route David said we'd take to the Severn. The most direct would be down the Worcester and Birmingham, but I seem to recall him mentioning the Staffs and Worcs, so we might be going via the Wolverhampton 21. Whichever way we go, I'm hoping we'll be in Worcester by Saturday as I have booked my train to get me home that day. Actually, my advance ticket covers only from Nuneaton to home as the cheapest fare from Worcester to Nuneaton was a standard "anytime" fare, so there was no point in buying that in advance. This has given me some extra flexibility in case we don't make Worcester by Saturday.

It will be good to be back on Kew again; no doubt I will get my turn at steering the full-length boat (with wooden 'ellum) from time to time. I'll post a trip summary with photos when I get back.

2 comments:

Adam said...

You know the Wolverhampton 21 are closed UFN at the moment?

Halfie said...

Ooh, Adam, no, I hadn't spotted that. Thanks. I've e-mailed CRT to clarify, as their stoppage notice claims the Wolverhampton 21 are on the Birmingham and Fazeley. (It also says that the locks have fallen into the water!) It sounds like pretty serious vandalism.