Saturday 20 July 2013

IWA Festival day two, with a Spitfire flypast

I've done it again. I've left myself with no time to write a considered blog post with photos. So here's a brief update on day two of the IWA National Festival at Cassiobury Park, Watford.

After I helped set up the BCF stand I cycled in to Watford town centre (the wrong, long way) and found Sainsbury's. After a quick food shop I cycled back a better way through the park and back to the boat for a coffee. Then it was off to the festival site for a two hour stint on the gate. It was much busier today, and not so hot. When my shift finished I was back on the BCF stand for another two hours, during which the festival stopped and everyone looked up to the sky to watch a flypast by a Spitfire. The plane put on a great display for us, turning and flying over two or three times and waggling its wings. The crowd seemed to enjoy it but, when the pa announcer invited a show of appreciation, there was hardly any applause. Most people had gone back to what they were doing moments before.

It was around this time that I met Sue and Richard of Indigo Dream plus two hounds (I'd already seen them on my gate duty) and we had a chat. Sadly they couldn't promise to visit us on Jubilee later as they had to get back home. But I was pleased to find Sarah and Jim of Chertsey on board when I returned. Jan had got back before me and invited them in for a tour. It was good to see all of you. I wonder whom I'll meet tomorrow.

And with that, and with the sound of the Metropolitan Line train rattling over the bridge behind us, I'll sign off for now.

No comments: