Friday 29 March 2013

Halfie's leaving party

The day arrived at long last. My final working day in my long and illustrated BBC career (well, it's been television). And it wasn't, as I had hoped, a gentle winding down into obscurity oblivion retirement. On the contrary, after a quiet morning, many of my colleagues walked out of the building on strike: and I was busy all afternoon editing for Look East and the next day's (i.e. today's) breakfast bulletins.

So no official - or unofficial - sending off. A bit of a let-down.

But my leaving party was a success. There was a video-assisted talk by my boss - very good, not too embarrassing (thanks, Tony) - followed by a probably-too-long speech by myself. Lots of people came; there was lots of drink (it was in a pub); and there was plenty of food.

A group of editors - past and present - came together for a photo:


from left: James, John, Chris, Halfie, Wernie, Andy, Terry

Many more photos were taken which I might share another time.

*****************

Meanwhile ... Jan and I took part in a silent walk of witness between two churches in our village this Good Friday morning.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Many congratulations Jon,

Free at last, make the most of it chuck :)

Ian and Karen said...

Glad to hear you had a good time saying goodbye.
What a great weekend for starting a new life!
Karen

Halfie said...

Thanks Heth.

Ian and Karen, yes indeed!

Anonymous said...

Your parents are sorry not to see any more of your interviews on the box!

Anonymous said...

Here's to a happy and healthy "retirement" - hope you don't miss work too much :-)

Sue, nb Indigo Dream

Nev Wells said...

Well done John, A good shift now relax and enjoy your retirement you lucky man !

Nev

Halfie said...

Anonymous, they could always replay the ones they already have!

Sue, thank you. I won't miss working weekends!

Halfie said...

Nev, yes, I'm aware of my good fortune. Thanks.

Sue said...

Many congratulations on your retirement.. It's not a bad career to be had is retirement!

Enjoy your Easter

Halfie said...

Thanks Sue. It's going to take some time to get used to it!

Vallypee said...

Congratulations, Halfie. Happy days of cruising ahead and doing all those things you haven't had time to do before. Wonderful!

Jim said...

Congratulations and welcome to the club.
You'll soon get the hang of it!

Halfie said...

Val and Jim, thank you both.

Neil Corbett said...


Oops I seem to have missed this post on the day. Happy retirement from Neil & Kath. I can heartily recommend it and I tell everyone it's the best job I've ever had!