Wednesday 21 November 2012

Trying to make a website

I've got myself involved with the business of trying to get a website for our church. I'm part of a small committee looking into what's available and how much it would cost, etc. We had our first meeting yesterday where we talked about what should be on the website and who might design one for us.

Saturday's Times contained a four-page pull-out on programming in HTML so I thought I'd give it a go.

My previous experience of programming was in Basic on a BBC Microcomputer (and on s Sinclair ZX Spectrum before that!), but this was the first time I'd attempted HTML.

Once I'd worked out how to get the right ending on the file name - extension, yes, that's what you call it - I managed to get something to work when I opened it in the Safari browser. That was very satisfying, even though all I'd really done was copy out the program from the newspaper! What I couldn't get to work, though, were the CSS and JavaScript elements to work. I tried it on the (PC) laptop too, but with even less success.

Somehow I don't think I'll be creating the church's website myself!

9 comments:

Brian and Diana on NB Harnser said...

I was in Maplins and they had a CD for web design, I didn't look at the price.
WWW.harnser.info is was done on a free program, Netfusion

Brian and Diana on NB Harnser said...

This is under a tenner at Maplin and cheaper from Amazon
http://www.focusmm.co.uk/shop/Select-Web-Design-Studio-3rd-Edition-pr-1742.html

Halfie said...

Brian, thanks. I think my "committee colleagues" would prefer to go down the route of a designer whose work they can see, and I really don't think my minuscule amount of experience in HTML will be enough. Now, if this were April 2013, I'd have more time to experiment, but we need something up-and-running reasonably quickly. I know I OUGHT to be able to do it, but...!

Nev Wells said...

Take a look at

http://www.1and1.co.uk/

They are my host. You can get a domain with email addresses with the web page design package. There is a cost but an easy simple way to design your web pages IMHO,

Nev

Anonymous said...

Hi Halfie, I use a Wordpress based system on our church website, http://heyfordparkchapel.org.uk/wordpress/ so it's no more complicated than a blog once set up. See http://www.christiantemplatesonline.com/ for designs
Let me know if you need help :)

Regards Chris

Halfie said...

Nev, thank you.

Chris, thanks. Your church website looks good, so I looked up the cto website, but it's all in dollars. Did you use one of their templates?

Anonymous said...

Hi Halfie, yes I did use a CTO template, think I paid by PayPal in $

Gregor Chase said...

I like this site a lot and also it is a very informative site. I will share this site with my coworkers and also with my friends. i will recommend this site to my relatives too. It was a pleasure for me to be in this site. This site provided me a lot of information.

sami said...
This comment has been removed by the author.