Tuesday 11 September 2012

Time to go boating. (Big decision made.)


Yes, time to go boating. And time for gardening. And time for house tidying. And time for lots of other things.

The big decision? I have applied for voluntary redundancy; my application has been successful. This means that I am to retire early from work, but it's not for a few months yet. All those years of shift work, never knowing more than a few weeks (and often only a few days) in advance what hours I'm to be working, rarely being able to plan weekends - all that is to come to an end next year.

After signing the piece of paper terminating my contract - that seemed so final - I had my moments of doubt, but it's feeling more and more like the right thing to do. Yes, my pension will take a bit of a hit, but I will have more time to enjoy it.


We'll not be sailing off into the sunset just yet, though, as Jan has, potentially, several more years of work left. But, as I indicated, I'm not exactly going to be twiddling my thumbs. Besides which, Jubilee is spoken for for up to two years.

So we'll see what will happen.

Top photo: Shadow at Dadlington on the Ashby Canal two weeks ago.

Bottom photo: Norfolk sky this evening.

Neither photo has been tweaked.

14 comments:

Nev Wells said...

John,

I am sure it is the right decision, otherwise you would not have made it. ;-)

You will no doubt be one of a generation of people who have worked all of their adult lives so you are due soem R&R.... role on my turn !

Nev

Adam said...

Congratulations on escaping! Are we allowed to say that you've been DQF'd?

Bruce in Sanity said...

Congrats John – now life gets really busy!

Adam: what are you on about?

;-}}}

All the best

Bruce

Halfie said...

Nev, yes, I've been married to my job longer than to my wife!

Adam, thanks. Yes, although it was my decision alone. I just took advantage.

Bruce, thank you. I think you may be right - perhaps I'll be wanting to go to work for a break! DQF - "Delivering Quality First" - is the BBC's risible euphemism for cuts.

Neil Corbett said...

You won't regret it John. It's the best job I've ever had.

Neil

Andy Tidy said...

Congratulations John!

Jim said...

Welcome to the club, John. You won't regret it. I enjoyed my working life but I still think it's the best decision I've ever made.

Halfie said...

Neil and Andy, thank you. Jim, thank you - I'm not quite there yet, but I'm counting down the months!

Anonymous said...

Hmm, to have a son who has retired... "I grow old, I grow old.". Still, plenty of jobs here for a man with time on his hands.

H.S.

Halfie said...

H.S. (aka Dad), I still have six months to go! When the time comes, though, with all the jobs at Andrew's, Ally's, Birmingham and yours, when am I going to find time to do the jobs on our house?

ditchcrawler said...

Good for you, best move I ever made, Diana finished as soon as she could afterwards as well.
Enjoy life while you can, kick the kids out of the boat and set off. if you leave them tolong you wount get them out and will have to find another boat.

Vallypee said...

I wish I could do that too....

Halfie said...

Brian, they have an ultimatum! VallyP, your time will come.

Halfie said...

Paul, yes, I fully realise how fortunate I am. I'm not intending to gloat, rather, tell the facts. Your time will come - enjoy your children, involve them in your boating plans and be patient! Have you considered shared ownership? (Byt the way, Paul, I'm Halfie not Nev.)