Tuesday 1 May 2012

Licence to thrill

The licence for Jubilee came from BW in the post this morning, exactly two weeks from my application in person at a BW "local agent" (at Sawley Marina). The first I have bought. All right, "thrilling" might be exaggerating slightly, but it is moderately exciting to have proof of being properly paid up, to the tune of £769.21, to cruise the (BW) waterways in our own boat.


I suppose it was a little unfortunate that the licence had expired just before we got the boat, but the former owner was so good to us in many other ways that we really can't complain.

And I'll be able to display the two parts in the windows on our return to the boat this weekend, when other small jobs will include the swapping over of the batteries; the measuring up of the side hatch for a piece of perspex; the construction of a step to stand on in the hatch; the seeing about extending the tiller arm; the screwing in of a few more hooks...

6 comments:

Andy Tidy said...

Thats sounds like the start of a "to do" list that will never end.

Ketro said...

Hi Halfie,
I'd recommend not using Perspex, it has a habit of splitting and shattering, and it can soon craze with age. Use clear Polycarbonate instead. It's far more durable and resistant to all of the above. Never use meths or petro-chemicals to clean it, best to use soapy water.
All the best,
Kevin
www.travelsontranquility.blogspot.com

Halfie said...

Kevin, thanks. I confess I hadn't realised there was a difference.

Halfie said...

Andy, my to-do lists never end. Jan makes sure of that!

Ian and Karen said...

Will there be any time for boating?

Halfie said...

Ian and Karen, in a way, I won't really mind too much if we don't actually go anywhere (although I think we probably will). Just being on board, making the boat truly ours, will be rewarding in itself.