Tuesday 20 December 2011

The deed is done

What deed, you might reasonably ask?

No, I haven't bought a boat (yet).

I've responded to the all-staff trawl for volunteers for redundancy, and have applied. Now, there's no guarantee that I'll be accepted, and at this stage there's no commitment on either side. Having put myself forward, I'm certainly relishing the prospect of more time for boating - but I mustn't get too excited. I think we'll be told early in the new year who has been selected.

When the time comes, it'll be a wrench leaving the Beeb. I have now clocked up 31 years, which is well over half my life. But I have come to realise that there is life outside work, and I want to be able to enjoy it while I'm still fit. The call of the canals is getting ever stronger. Also, if I can leave on the date I have requested, in 2013, the effect on my pension will be negligible. That's because of the way they've messed up the pension scheme.

********************

Here's a photo. Nothing to do with any of the preceding stuff!


Pigeon at sunrise, Norfolk, 30th November 2011 (photographed from the bathroom window)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keeping my fingers crossed for a good outcome - a brave decision - but more boat and less work sounds like a winning combination!

Sue, nb Indigo Dream

Halfie said...

Thanks Sue. I'll let you know via the blog when I know what's happening.

Nev Wells said...

Halfie,

Good luck, you know in your mind (and body) when the time is right and if you can go with some cash all the better.

So its you (possibly) and Sarah.......who's next I wonder?

Have a happy Christmas and a New Year filled with the responses you want.

Nev NB Waterlily

No Direction said...

Hopefully another young age pensioner, welcome to the club.

Andy Tidy said...

Halfie
A wave of restructuring is doing the rounds at my place - so far my requests have fallen on deaf ears. Good luck in your attempt.

ditchcrawler said...

I know how you feel, I saw several waves of redundancy go by hoping it wouldn't be me. When it suited me I requested to be considered and then worried they may not let me go. But they did.