Tuesday 7 June 2011

Andrew Denny keeping his lens dry


Wandering around the boats on display at Crick last week I came across Andrew Denny of Granny Buttons taking photographs in the rain. So I took some of him.


We didn't chat for long as he had to get back to work.

***********************

Now, here's a spider alert. If you're not a fan of the eight-legged carnivores you might like to click away.



Still with me?



Good.



It's just that ...



... I found this in my wheelbarrow this afternoon:


So what's the big deal? Well, it seems to be carrying a large white ball around with it.


I think it's a mummy spider with a nest of babies. Perhaps she was looking for somewhere safe to hatch them before I gathered her up - unknowingly - with some garden detritus.

Here's the view from the front. The face looks like a cross between Darth Vader and a smiling mouse!


The same creature from a different angle: I don't think I've seen a spider's eyes so clearly before.


And here's a top view to help with identification. Anyone?

4 comments:

Sue said...

Andrew never has time for anything when he is on a mission!

House spider I guess...

Roger Smith said...

A bit of looking round the web (sorry) makes me think it could be a Nursery Web Spider, see link for more info

http://www.uksafari.com/nurseryweb.htm

Caution link leads to an arachnophobes nightmare.

Anonymous said...

i think it may be a fishing spider

Halfie said...

Roger, thanks. Yes, it looks like the nursery web spider on the uksafari website.