Thursday 26 May 2011

Mystery photo - revealed in full

I have enjoyed reading your guesses. Now I shall put you out of your misery.


Neil of Herbie, you were indeed very warm with your attempt on day one, but Andy, aka Captain Ahab, you nailed it. It is the pattern made in the grease on the rack while it is being wound up.

The offset teeth on the rack make it rock slightly from side to side as the pinion rotates; a wheel on the other side to the teeth presses into the rack to keep it in position - the zigzag line is the result.

It seemed to me to be especially clear on the Perry Barr locks on the Tame Valley Canal, which is where I took the photo. You should be able to make out the curved top of the lock ladder, and the bollard, of course.

********************

Today in Norfolk it RAINED! A proper heavy shower. I know, because I cycled home through it. At least I won't have to water the vegetables this evening - the first time for weeks, two months, perhaps.

Edited to add: Sorry, Andy, there's no physical prize, only the satisfaction of being the first to get it!

1 comment:

Andy Tidy said...

The warm glow of a job well done eh? Sounds just like my boss at work...