Wednesday 2 March 2011

Timelapse: Chertsey to Kingston-upon-Thames

This 2' 06" timelapse film continues to record Willow's progress down the Thames. It's Thursday 2nd September, and we've had lunch in the Kingfisher Pub by Chertsey Bridge. I've successfully replaced the weedhatch seal, and we got under way at 1535. Just three locks on this leg, and we tie up at Kingston-upon Thames at 1900.

I've just thought: as I have reasonably accurately logged the start and end times of the timelapse filming, I can calculate various things. First, the camera was running for about three and a half hours, that's 210 minutes, or 12,600 seconds. The film runs for two minutes and six seconds, or 126 seconds. So things happen on the film a hundred times faster than they did in real life.

Inching though the film one frame at a time reveals that it replays at ten frames to the second. So in the three and a half hours it took 1260 images: that's one every ten seconds. Good: that confirms how I'd thought I'd set it up.



  • Chertsey Bridge (0.00)
  • Shepperton Lock (0.16)
  • Desborough Cut (0.27)
  • Walton Bridge (0.36)
  • Sunbury Lock (0.51)
  • Molesey Lock (1.26)
  • Hampton Court Bridge (1.36)
  • Kingston Bridge (2.00)

2 comments:

Bill Rodgers said...

Just wanted to say that I enjoy your time lapse films (Yeah, I know they aren't film but old habits die hard.) The 720p really looks good and makes them even more enjoyable to watch. Thanks.

Halfie said...

Thanks Bill, it's good to get feedback. At some point I might re-upload my earlier attempts in "hd" as well.