Sunday 19 September 2010

How to survive on the Paddington Branch ... and on the Lee

One of the more striking sights on the Paddington Branch of the Grand Union Canal is a survival capsule from a decommissioned oil platform.


It has the less-than-snappy name 211/27A and comes from the North West Hutton rig, eighty miles from the Shetland Islands.


It's designed to hold 60 people. I wonder if they've tried it!

On the River Lee navigation we saw another apparently self-righting boat. Laika was tied up just north of Tottenham Lock.


I haven't been able to find out anything about this boat.

6 comments:

Northern Pride said...

Hi Halfie
We're on the Stourt at the moment, heading to Bishops Stortford. How long are you on the River Lea for? We may just catch you on our return journey in a couple of days time!
Sandra & Barry

Halfie said...

Sandra and Barry, sorry, I didn't make it clear in my post - we did the Lee and Stort last month. Sadly I'm now back at work!

Unknown said...

I bought Laika from a Norwegian oil rig. Sold her in 2008.

Unknown said...

I bought Laika from a Norwegian oil rig. Sold her in 2008.

Unknown said...

I bought Laika from a Norwegian oil rig. Sold her in 2008.

Halfie said...

Henry, thanks for this information.