Thursday 12 August 2010

Tree surgery and route planning

Our neighbour had complained that the trees at the end of our garden were putting his garden in shade, so I've been lopping the tops off the conifers. Actually I think it's one conifer, with multiple trunks.


My technique was to trim off as many of the branches as I could above the lopping height; then I attached a rope above and below where I partially cut through the trunk.


Then, from the ground, I tugged on another rope attached above the cutting point until the top came down. It was prevented from crashing to the ground by the first rope.


Then I was able to trim off the branches which were at the top, until I was able to detach the sawn off trunk and lower it to the ground.



I've also been planning our forthcoming three week cruise, which will take in the IWA Festival at Beale Park on the Thames. We're aiming to do the Lee and the Stort, both new to us; as well as the Thames from sea to source. OK, the Thames Flood Barrier doesn't quite count as the sea, and Lechlade isn't exactly the source, but it's as much as most people would want to do. Details tomorrow.

4 comments:

Vallypee said...

I like your tree surgery! Would you like to do mine too? ;-)

Your trip sounds wonderful. I so wish I could be doing something like that too...

Halfie said...

VallyP, surgery perhaps makes it sound too good - it's more of a hack-the-top-off job.

Eddie Stone said...

Are you a tree surgeon yourself? If so, great job. If not, even better job! I couldn't have even attempted a job this big on a ladder, I've come to rely on access equipment like the stuff I got from Promax access equipment. More expensive than a ladder I guess but my peace of mind is a fickle beast!

Halfie said...

Eddie, thanks! No, I'm not a tree surgeon. But I took my time with this, made sure the top of the ladder was fixed, worked out where branches were going to fall, wore a hard hat, used a circuit breaker with the electric chain saw, etc. It helps that I have a reasonable head for heights and a liking for a bit of a (controlled, I hope) risk!