Thursday 5 August 2010

Assisting on the Farmers Bridge lock flight

I had to go to Birmingham yesterday for work purposes. When that was finished I walked to Old Turn Junction and down the Birmingham and Fazeley Canal, where a single hander was just starting down the Farmers Bridge flight of locks.


Perfect! I offered my services, and asked for a windlass. I was able to set one lock ahead for most of the thirteen, and Derek, his dog, and Pudel Cottage rattled down in short order. Derek was most grateful. He reckoned I saved him an hour! I'm not sure about that, but it certainly makes thing much quicker if you don't have to worry about closing gates, and can steer straight into the next lock.


I had decided to give myself 25 minutes to walk to New Street Station to catch my train home. I hadn't been counting the locks, and I handed back the windlass and said goodbye; then I noticed that we'd actually reached the bottom lock. More perfection.

No comments: