Tuesday 9 March 2010

Two or three Ducks seen in Cambridge

For more than a year I've been saying to myself, every time I've driven along the A14 over the River Cam, I must call in and say "hello" to James and Amy of NB Lucky Duck. And now that BBC Cambridge has moved to new premises at Cambridge Business Park I've had the opportunity to combine a visit to the new building with a chance to greet the Lucky Ducks in person. Well, it almost worked. I got the train from Norwich to Cambridge, and a bus to the business park, and was suitably impressed by the facilities.


I wasn't just swanning around, looking at other people working, though. I got roped in to edit a package for Look East. I then took a bus back towards the town centre, and walked along the river looking for Lucky Duck. I knew I was unlikely to see its occupants as they had told me that they had other commitments in the evening, but I had something for them which I was planning to leave on board.

I walked along a line of narrowboats moored up along Midsummer Common without spotting any sort of duck. Two boats to go. Ah - there was someone just leaving the nearer, nameless, one. "Excuse me, I'm looking for "Lucky Duck". As the person turned round I could see that it was Amy, and she said, "This is "Lucky Duck". So we introduced ourselves and I gave her the cake - that was the "something" - and then she had to cycle off to a meeting. Just before she went, an eight came rowing along in the darkness: James was coxing, but I could hardly see him in the gloom. He didn't even look up! (Does the cox count as crew?)


Amy with headlight and cake

One other Duck I did see was their cat, Lyra. Stupidly I didn't think to photograph her. Or is that one of her cat's eyes twinkling in the window?

James and Amy, I'll try to visit again, and next time let's hope it can be mutually more convenient.

No comments: