Tuesday 19 January 2010

Historical Map of the Birmingham Canals

I've been following Captain Ahab's recent tours of some former parts of the BCN with great interest. I can't quite remember exactly when I discovered that I share my surname with a branch canal, but I do remember feeling a thrill of excitement, and wanting to see how much of "my" canal remained. Thanks to the Captain I now know much more about it, and am encouraged that some remains are visible.

Captain Ahab has used three main methods in his research: Google Earth maps; legwork on the ground; and some amazingly detailed large-scale maps from the late nineteenth century. (I, too, have a useful map: more about this below.)

From his blog:

The final half mile of the Halford Branch Canal initially curves round behind a factory, riding atop a substantial embankment which allowed it to cross a small valley in which was clay was found, supplying the nearby brickworks. Before the industrial revolution this area was renown for its open fields, orchards and hunting, but the discovery of coal, iron ore and clay in the vicinity transformed it into an industrial powerhouse. A close look at a map from the late 1800's reveals a myriad of old collieries, slag heaps, iron works, clay pits and brick kilns, with barely an acre left untouched. The canal ran like an artery through the midst of all this endeavour, and without the waterway and its associated tramways, none of this would have been possible.




The maps which the Captain has used, at a vast scale of 14 or 15 inches to the mile, are available for £2.25 each from Karen Swift, contactable through http://www.freewebs.com/karenswift13/

On a recent cruise down Foxton Locks we had a look round the Foxton Inclined Plane Trust's museum where I bought a Historical Map of the Birmingham Canals, compiled and drawn by Richard Dean. This is full of detail concerning when the particular canal was authorised and when it closed, and shows all the arms, locks, toll offices etc.

Here's part of it so you can see what I mean:


It looks as though this is still available, "revised, extended and improved", from the IWA for £5.

No comments: