Sunday 8 November 2009

Oh, by the way, which one's Pink?*

I wonder how many Pink Floyd references on the canals there are. There's the famous graffiti on the Oxford/Grand Union, which I talk about here after Steve Haywood mentioned it in a Canal Boat article.

And then there are the boat names.




According to Jim Shead there are two boats called Piper at the Gates of Dawn ...




... and one called Wish you were Here; one Shine On; one Shine On You Crazy Diamond; and eight Crazy Diamonds. There are three Steel Breezes, from the lyrics to Shine On You Crazy Diamond.

There's a boat called Meddle - and three called Echoes; one called More; but none with the name The Dark Side of the Moon - but there are three called Time, and no fewer than 25 Eclipses - nor Obscured by Clouds.

I'm pleased to see there's a Momentary Lapse of Reason (there had to be, didn't there?). And Division Bell makes Jim Shead's boat listing. No Atom Heart Mother, nor The Final Cut, possibly the most overtly canal-connected name. There are three boats called Pulse, but no Relics.

There are bound to be more, and I'm bound to have missed some obvious ones.



(edit: Maffi has posted this photo of Comfortably Numb on his blog:)

[DSCF3341[3].jpg]



*from Have a Cigar (Wish You Were Here)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

im in canada...

Halfie said...

Hello Anonymous. I know who you are. Have a good time!

Vallypee said...

Like the Floyd references! I think if I had a narrowboat, I would use the Final Cut, since no one else has it. My favourite Floyd album, Wish you were Here, sounds a bit twee on a boat.

Vallypee said...

Apologies to whoever owns one by that name of course (Wish you were here, I mean), but it just reminds me of the suburban bungalows you see called things like that.

Halfie said...

Perhaps "Careful with that axe, Eugene" would be appropriate!

IronKat said...

Very belatedly, there is an "Atom Heart Mother" out there; currently sat -- in a very miserable state -- in Hesford Marine's yard.

It's black all over, with a large-ish cast (I want to say it's cast bronze, but it's very grubby, and I didn't get a chance to inspect it closer) nameplate on the side reading "Atom Heart Mother" over an atom symbol. (I got a bit of a kick out of seeing that; though it was a bit lost on my co-worker.)

Other than that, I couldn't tell you any more about it. I only noticed it while working at aforementioned yard, two boats over, helping put a new pair of walls on a very cut-about shell.

I managed to stumble across this post while wondering if anyone else had seen it. At least, as far as the Internet is concerned, it has escaped notice.

Halfie said...

IronKat, thanks for that. Shame about its condition.