Tuesday 29 September 2009

Hairy exploit on the Stratford Canal

Is this a shaggy dog story?


While walking along the Stratford on Avon Canal in Birmingham at the weekend I came across a large amount of what looked like the sweepings from a barber's floor. Scattered along the towpath were lots of tufts of hair.


But this hair looks more dog than human. I suspect that someone, not wanting a messy garden, brought their pooch to a quiet bit of land and gave it a trim. I suppose it could have been a boater, understandably not wanting hair of the dog all over their boat.

I witnessed a dog being sheared (shorn?) four years ago while cruising the Leigh Branch. It was in a field, not on the towpath. Sadly I have no photo.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe there's a national dog shearing day - there was a similar pile of dog hair near where we're moored on the Grand Union!
Sue, Indigo Dream

Halfie said...

I suppose it'll all rot/blow away soon, but it does look messy in the meantime.

Vallypee said...

We see that a lot over here, so maybe it was a visiting cloggies grooming their pooch! Whenever I go to the park, I see people brushing and trimming their fluffy dogs, and thet never clean it up. Strange hey?