Wednesday 26 August 2009

To the IWA Festival (with classic car and tent)


photo taken 18 months ago

When I phoned yesterday to ask for advance tickets for this year's IWA Festival I also asked whether they'd like me to put my car into the classic cars section. Yes was the answer, so we'll be driving to Red Hill in it, with a tent in the boot. I didn't have to book a pitch: there's apparently plenty of space on the campsite.

I hope they're not expecting a concourse condition car. The bumpers are looking decidedly rusty now, and there's a bit more rust elsewhere. Jan's looking up some fabric to cover the rip in the bit between the rear seat back and the rear parcel shelf, and I washed the car yesterday morning before cycling to work. I have been considering ordering some stainless steel bumpers ready for when I next visit Amazonia - the workshop, not the jungle: it's in Suffolk - for its annual checkup.

So you'll know how to find me at the festival: I'll be the one standing in front of the shabbier bits of what is otherwise a great car.


last year's National Festival at the south end of the Shroppie

Could I have got into the festival free as an exhibitor? I find the lack of information from the IWA quite frustrating. Their website, well, the part of it about the National Festival, anyway (once you've managed to find it), is almost as bad as Waterscape: geared towards the casual visitor rather than the committed boater. No information at all on how to get into the evening entertainments. And there's no discount on entry for being a member. Why not? Is there any real incentive to being a member? I suppose if you're close to an active regional group it's better. I used to belong to the Milton Keynes branch when we lived there years ago: their meetings were in the Three Locks pub, Soulbury, which was only three miles from our house. I think my nearest branch is Ipswich, which is a good hour's drive away.

Sorry, this has turned into a rant, which is unusual for me. Rant over. I have to say that Sheila, on the other end of the line at the festival site when I phoned, was most courteous and helpful.

5 comments:

Adam said...

That could well have been Sheila from Sanity.

Halfie said...

Yes, I left a message on Bruce's blog asking if it was. No reply as yet - it sounds as if he's busy! Are you going this year, Adam?

Vallypee said...

Sounds like a great event regardless, and I love your car! Rusty or not, it's a real classic. The pics of the old working narrow boats are beautiful too.

Adam said...

No, I'm working all bank holiday weekend :(

Anonymous said...

Hi Halfie,

Checkout the VW Carmen Ghia & the Porsche we bought in Germany, Ha Ha.

(Sunday 23rd post)

H