Friday 24 July 2009

An old canal, some old locks, and a chatty cafe

Today we intended to go to Runcorn, but, after a mixup with the satnav, we overshot slightly and found ourselves going over the bridge to Widnes. Rather than turn round straightaway we parked up and looked round the western end of the Sankey (St. Helen's) Canal where it joins the Mersey.


entrance lock from the Mersey to the Sankey Canal, Widnes

There was a group of lads by the lock connecting the two waterways. One youth saw that I had a camera and asked me if I'd like to take a photo of him jumping in naked. I replied in the negative. We had a pleasant walk round Spike Island in the sunshine, didn't feel inclined to pay £4.95 each to go in the Catalyst Museum, and drove back over the bridge to Runcorn.


view from Spike Island

In Runcorn we had several cups of tea from an enormous pot ... and pastry ... and toasted teacake ... and another toasted teacake at the Chatterbox Cafe in the High Street near the current terminus of the Bridgewater Canal (Runcorn Arm). This was a great find.


Katie Condron, the young owner of the Chatterbox Internet Cafe, was extraordinarily helpful when I mentioned that I was looking for the old locks which used to connect the Bridgewater Canal to the Mersey. She brought over a great pile of books, full of old photographs of Runcorn, and all with much fascinating information on what I was looking for. I was astonised, and greatly encouraged, by her enthusiasm. Her main interest is in the old transporter bridge, of whose existence I had been unaware. On looking round the cafe, I saw that there were photos of this, and many other scenes from the past - including the canal - on the walls. Her mother (I'm assuming it was her mother) helpfully wrote out for me a set of directions to aid me in my quest.

We set off, following the directions, and passed under the current road bridge and the railway bridge. I hadn't realised quite how far we had to go to find the locks, and I began to wonder if I'd somehow missed them. Jan returned to the car while I carried on walking. Eventually I found what I'd been looking for - hooray! The line of filled-in locks running down to the Manchester Ship Canal. I'd been told to look out for the "Doll's House". There's something quite bizarre about the windows. Can you spot it?


And here's what I'd been looking for, and what I couldn't find four years ago: the line of the old locks from the Runcorn Arm which leads now to the Manchester Ship Canal.


bottom lock, with water from the Manchester Ship Canal


looking towards the Ship Canal: a footpath runs between the lock walls

10 comments:

Vallypee said...

What a fun journey of discovery. Weren't you lucky to find two such helpful souls at the Chatterbox cafe? The windows in that house are strangely irregular and unmatched aren't they? It reminds me of a apartment block we have here which also has very irregular windows. I wonder if the architect was inspired by the doll's House!

Halfie said...

VallyP, no, it's not to do with the shape of the windows. I suggest you reflect upon the problem a bit more.

Vallypee said...

Ooooh, hmmmm, I'll have to look again,won't I? Back soon...I hope!

Vallypee said...

The only other thing I notice when I study the photo is that most of the windows appear not to have glass in them and are blacked out. There is no reflection and no apparent depth. Are they real windows??? If this isn't it, then I'll have to accept defeat ;-)

Halfie said...

You've got it. They're not real windows, just painted to look like it! Very convincing at first - and second and third - glance.

Vallypee said...

Phew! I'm glad about that! That I've got it I mean, and yes, they are very convincing, aren't they?

Anonymous said...

Hello Halfie,

I was just surfing the internet and came past this lovely read about the 'An Old Canal, some old locks and a chatty cafe'. This brought a lovely tear to my eye as i didnt expect to find this. I remember when you came into my cafe and the conversation about the old town, i couldnt believe it when i read the date, it doesnt feel that long ago. I am Katie Condron, and i find it so lovely to hear about my cafe, i also so happy you got to find the Dolls House and where the locks used to go. There is still talk about opening the canal locks back up, yet still no action yet.

Thank you
Take Care
Katie Condron :-)

Halfie said...

Katie, thank you for your kind comments. That was a good day - and to me it DOES feel like a long time ago! Are you still running the café?

All the best,

Halfie.

Anonymous said...

Hi Halfie,

Feels so long ago since I wrote this comment, unfortunately it was at that time that I wrote to you, I closed my business Chatter Box, due to the Old Town is dieing :-( I have been closed since the end of january 2012 and i miss it so much. I was just sifting through a my memory box and found this article and then remembered i wrote to you, and thought i would check. Sorry to give sad news.


All the best and thank you for putting a smile back on my face today :-)

Katie :-D

Halfie said...

Katie, I'm sorry you've had to close the café. I'm glad you find solace in the memories, though, and I'm pleased to be able top play my own small part. I hope you've kept the old books safe!