Thursday 30 April 2009

O for the songs of a Dove


Jonathan Dove with his score

This Saturday I have the privilege to be singing with the City of Birmingham Orchestra!

No, not as a soloist, but as a humble chorus bass (and you can't get much lower than that!) We're performing the world premiere of "There Was a Child" by Jonathan Dove in the Norfolk and Norwich Festival. It's been a challenge, but I'm feeling much more confident now we've had the penultimate rehearsal. I just hope that we'll manage with the orchestra: so far we've been rehearsing with piano accompaniment.

No, I hadn't heard of Jonathan Dove before, either, but my ears pricked up while listening to Radio 3 last Sunday: two of his smaller scale choral works were played on The Choir.

2 comments:

Vallypee said...

Good luck with the concert Halfie! I shall check out Mr Dove....

Halfie said...

Thanks, VallyP. We've just had the final rehearsal, with the orchestra. They sound good! Just a little last-minute note-bashing for me now... two hours to go!