Sunday 12 October 2008

Could this be how we get our own boat?

Our daughter has let on that she's started her own blog. In her latest post she talks about the problem of finding somewhere to live after getting married next year:

...talked to Dad about arrangements for after we are married, house wise... He has offered for us to live on a..wait for it.. boat. yep. a boat. well the advantages are that its free for us, free rent for as long as it takes for us to move to manchester and find a place to live, it means we can stay in southport while Ben finishes his contract at his current job and we have somewhere to live when we come back from honeymoon!

I had suggested that a narrowboat would be an excellent way of having an "instant" home while looking for something a bit more land-based. My ulterior motive, of course, was that we'd have the boat when they'd moved out, so I suppose I wouldn't want them to get too attached to it. But is this the right thing to do? Should boat-dwellers be only "natural" boaty types, so they go into it really wanting to do it? And shouldn't I want them to get attached to the boating idea?

Anyway, I'm pleased that she's not completely dismissive of the whole thing. I'd better start looking for a suitable boat. Any ideas?

No comments: