Monday 18 August 2008

Parbold to Worsley

Monday 14th July 2008


The morning started fine. Fine drizzle, that is. So yesterday's sun was an aberration, a short-lived reminder of what summer should have been, but wasn't. Went to the shop for a paper and pain au chocolat. Did the usual engine checks. Weed hatch clear. Perhaps today would be when I would get a new alternator belt (but it wasn't).


Set off at 0820 and turned right in Wigan, doing the last of the self-operated swing bridges and locks of this holiday (apart from Dutton Stop Lock).

Lunched at Dover Lock Inn and enjoyed more good food - thanks Bob. This time I had the braised beef for £6.95; Jan had the lamb hotpot for £6.50. Oh, and I then had a banana split for £3.00. The fact that the placemats were stuck to the table really didn't matter.

On the way to tonight's mooring back at Worsley I started polishing the mushrooms.


before


after

"Owl" was also back at Worsley: we've seen this lovely boat a lot over the last few days. It has a 1954 Armstrong Siddeley engine.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

To east the hard work try Cillit Bang Bathroom cleaner first. It leaves them a little pink but brasso sorts that out

Halfie said...

While I was doing it I was trying to think of easier ways. I read somewhere that a paste of (I think) salt, flour and vinegar works well. But once I had the Brasso and cloth I was unstoppable!