Thursday 24 July 2008

I sounded the horn and stopped. The oncoming boat kept on coming

Sunday 6th July 2008
it rained


No-one told me Saltersford Tunnel now has a timed entry system like Preston Brook Tunnel! How long has it been like that? And I didn't spot the vital information on the sign (is it me, or is it difficult to see because it's on the towpath (left side as going northwards))? I approached as I had done three years previously, that is, slowly, checking there wasn't a boat already in. I could see to the far end (despite the kink) so I went in. After a short while I became aware of a louder engine note, and, more worryingly, there was no longer daylight at the far end. Then a light approaching ... and HELP! I sounded the horn and stopped. The oncoming boat kept on coming - so I fled. Well, of course, I couldn't exactly flee quickly. I had to reverse round the kink - I think I'd gone more than half way - and back down the tunnel, with Jan trying to fend off at the bow. Every so often I had to correct the position of the stern with a blast of forward - and the oncoming boat kept getting nearer. Surely he knows I'm here? Why does he keep getting closer? Scrape. That was the handrail at the back. Oh dear. Nearly out, thank goodness ... and out at last. What I expected was thanks from the boat I'd given way to. What I got was a reprimand for entering the tunnel at the wrong time. Well, thanks a bunch! I didn't know! Yes, my fault, but surely he would have realised there was a boat in the tunnel coming towards him as soon as he entered himself? Oh well. Jan walked back to the sign and confirmed the presence of a timing system. After seven minutes we went back in and had a clear passage (naturally). Searching reveals the timed entry system has been in place for just over a year: I bet I'm not the only boater to be caught out.


Coming through Saltersford Tunnel (eventually) and Barnton Tunnel half an hour before, we experienced the curious phenomenon of apparently floating in mid air as we approached the exit of the tunnels. The water was so still, and the outside so bright, that the approximately semicircular opening was perfectly reflected. I think this is my best photo of it: the effect even more startling because although the roof of the tunnel is reflected as a mirror image, the scenery outside isn't symmetrical.


And here's Jan steering away from the north portal of (the dreaded) Saltersford Tunnel.

No comments: