Saturday 26 April 2008

Norfolk's canal

The North Walsham and Dilham Canal



We went for a walk near Dilham this morning. Once a month the Humbleyard Hoofers meet in the church car park and go somewhere for a five (or so) mile walk. (We are in the Humbleyard Deanery). Our walk didn't actually include the canal (mostly derelict) as we started from Honing and went north. [Several years ago we had a 10' dinghy which I rowed up the canal from its junction with the River Ant.] Lovely warm sunny weather: spring has sprung and sumer is icumen in.


Honing Common Bridge from the west


the North Walsham and Dilham Canal. About six feet wide and very shallow, but at least there's water in it!


Honing Common Bridge from the east

3 comments:

Andy Tidy said...

Hmm, North Walsham - my home town and seat of my learning (no it wasn't Paston!). Am now condemned to a life in Birmingham - which does have an upside in terms of canals.

I have a very soft spot for the North Walsham and Dilham Canal and spent a very envoyable day buzzing up and down the Ant Valley in the spring.

Good to see so much work going on along the canal these days.

Halfie said...

Surely you mean you've ESCAPED to a life in Birmingham!

Andy Tidy said...

Halfie
There is that way of looking at it.
My escape form Norfok was something of an accident when I was transferred to Boston, a location which was then reallocated to the Midlands.
I will be back in North Norfolk in a couple of weeks to see Mrs Ahab Snr.

I suspect that we could compile quite a long list of common "Churches in Norfolk I have visited". Mind you, my knowledge is now two decades out of date.